Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This is a twist on the usual cheese grits. Perfect as a side dish with ham. Originally from an April 1983 issue of Bon Apetit.
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking grits
- 1 cup gruyere cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated (about 1 oz. grated)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon garlic, finely minced
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- white pepper (optional)
- Bring water and salt to boil in a medium saucepan over high heat; slowly whisk in grits.
- Reduce heat to low and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat, add cheeses and butter and stir until blended.
- Cool 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Generously grease a 1-quart baking dish.
- Beat eggs, mustard,garlic and red pepper in large bowl to blend; stir in cooled grits until smooth.
- Taste and season with white pepper if desired.
- Transfer grits to prepared pan,place in a large pan and add enough hot water to come halfway up side of baking dish.
- Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove foil and continue baking until center is slightly soft to the touch, about 15 to 20 minutes.