Top Review by rsarahl
Awesome! We loved the "fresh" bite of the salsa verde in the creamy and oh so savoury gruyere fondue base. All of our dippers were yummy, though the simplicity of hunks of baguette cloaked in this bright fondue were our favorite for their rustic, warming and classic comfort food appeal.
- 1⁄3 cup packed fresh basil leaf
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 cup dry vermouth
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 1⁄2 lbs gruyere cheese, shredded (about 5 1/2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry white wine
- bite-size pieces focaccia bread or French bread
- fresh fennel
- steamed broccoli
- cauliflower floret
- cherry tomatoes
- peeled cooked shrimp
Directions See How It's Made
- Purée first 5 ingredients in blender until smooth.
- Transfer salsa verde to small bowl.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cover tightly and let stand at room temperature.
- (Can be prepared 2 hours ahead. Keep at room temperature.) Toss Gruyère with cornstarch in large bowl.
- Bring wine to simmer in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add cheese to wine in 3 batches, whisking after each addition until cheese melts before adding more.
- Continue stirring until mixture is smooth and just begins to simmer (do not boil).
- Stir in half of salsa verde.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer fondue to fondue pot.
- Spoon remaining salsa verde atop fondue.
- Swirl knife through fondue and salsa verde, creating marbled design.
- Set pot over candle or canned heat burner.
- Serve with focaccia, vegetables and shrimp.