Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a delectable lower fat version of the cocktail hour favorite.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons margarine or 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup gruyere cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix flour, salt and peppers in a medium bowl (or in a food processor). Cut in margarine and cheese with a pastry blender (or pulse in food processor until crumbly). Gradually add milk, stirring with a fork to form a soft dough (or process until dough forms a ball).
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface and roll into an 6 x 16 rectangle about 1/4 inch thick. Cut into 6 x 1/4 inch strips. Twist strips several times and arrange close together on baking sheets coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350 F for 10 minutes, reduce heat to 350 F and continue baking 10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan immediately. Serve warm or room temperature.