Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
A recipe from the September 2006 Bon Appetit magazine. I spooned this over #19710 Grilled Cauliflower, oooh, it's so good.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 1⁄2 cup grated gruyere cheese
- kosher salt, to taste
- fresh ground white pepper, to taste
- Melt butter in small saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Add flour; stir 2 minutes (do not brown).
- Gradually whisk in 1 1/2 cups milk.
- Increase heat to high; bring to boil, then reduce heat to medium and simmer until mixture is thickened, stirring constantly, about 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Add cheese, stir until melted.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Do Ahead: This cheese sauce can be made 2 hours ahead.
- Let stand at room temperature.
- Rewarm before using, adding more milk if sauce is too thick.
Easy & yummy, put it over broccoli!
Excellent! Spiced it up with some chipotle powder and served it over roasted potatoes. Yum!!!
Surprisingly easy to make and oh so yummy!!! The whole family loved this sauce. We had it drizzled over broiled salmon, mashed potatoes, and broccoli.