Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
A recipe from the September 2006 Bon Appetit magazine. I spooned this over #19710 Grilled Cauliflower, oooh, it's so good.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 1⁄2 cup grated gruyere cheese
- kosher salt, to taste
- fresh ground white pepper, to taste
- Melt butter in small saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Add flour; stir 2 minutes (do not brown).
- Gradually whisk in 1 1/2 cups milk.
- Increase heat to high; bring to boil, then reduce heat to medium and simmer until mixture is thickened, stirring constantly, about 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Add cheese, stir until melted.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Do Ahead: This cheese sauce can be made 2 hours ahead.
- Let stand at room temperature.
- Rewarm before using, adding more milk if sauce is too thick.
I made bacon Gouda cheeseburgers with garlic aioli and drizzled this sauce over them. They could have easily been served at a five star restaurant. This sauce is delicious and will turn any meal into a masterpiece.
Easy & yummy, put it over broccoli!
Excellent! Spiced it up with some chipotle powder and served it over roasted potatoes. Yum!!!