Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
A delicious appetizer from the cookbook Savor Santa Barbara. After cooking the puffs, they can be frozen and reheated at 350º for 15 to 20 minutes.
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 dash salt
- 1 cup flour
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped prosciutto
- 1⁄2 cup shredded gruyere cheese
- Combine the water, butter and salt in a small saucepan.
- Bring to a boil and remove from the heat.
- Add the four and whisk vigorously.
- Return pan to medium heat and cook until batter thickens and pulls away from the side of the pan, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition until the batter is smooth and shiny.
- Stir in the prosciutto and cheese.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls 1 inch apart onto a large greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 400º for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.
These are very simple and very good. They are made just like the dessert cream puffs, they're just not sweet. These were part of the appetizers choices I had for a dinner party and were very well received. I had the left-overs for breakfast the next morning.