1 hr 3 mins
In 'Winter Gatherings' by Rick Rodgers
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Position a rack in the center of the oven.
- 2Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- 3Bring the milk and butter to a simmer in a heavy-bottomed medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly to be sure the butter is completely melted by the time the milk simmers.
- 4Add the flour, all at once, and stir with a wooden spoon to make a thick paste.
- 5Decrease heat to low.
- 6Stir constantly until the paste comes together into a ball and films the bottom of the saucepan, about 1 minute.
- 7Adjust the heat as necessary so the paste cooks without burning.
- 8The idea here is to force off excess moisture, in the form of steam, from the paste in order to make a crisper pastry; remove the saucepan from the heat.
- 9Whisk 4 of the eggs in a bowl to combine them.
- 10One-fourth at a time, stir the beaten eggs into the hot dough in the saucepan, and stir well until the dough comes together into a glossy mass.
- 11Stir in the Gruyere, rosemary, mustard, salt, and pepper.
- 12Transfer the warm dough to a pastry bag fitted with a 1/2-inch plain tip.
- 13Pipe 25 walnut-size balls of dough, about 1 inch apart, onto the baking sheet.
- 14Or drop the dough from a teaspoon onto the sheet.
- 15Beat the remaining egg well with a pinch of salt.
- 16Lightly brush some of the egg glaze on the mounds of dough, being sure that the egg does no drip down onto the sheet.
- 17Bake until the balls are puffed and golden brown, 20-25 minutes.
- 18If the gougeres have not baked long enough, they will deflate when taken from the oven, so bake for at least 20 minutes before checking them.
- 19Remove the sheet from the oven.
- 20Pierce each gougere with the tip of a small knife (this releases the steam from the interiors of the puffs and helps crisp them).
- 21Return to the oven and continue baking until the gougeres are crisp, 5-8 minutes.
- 22Let cool briefly on the baking sheet.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gruyere and Rosemary Gougeres
Serving Size: 1 (29 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 73.9
- Calories from Fat 44
- Total Fat 4.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.7 g
- Cholesterol 49.9 mg
- Sodium 79.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 2.8 g