Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
From Williams Sonoma. Great for holiday brunch!
- 8 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 ounces prosciutto or 2 ham, julienned
- 2 cups shredded gruyere or 2 cups swiss cheese
- 1⁄2 cup sourdough French bread cubes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly butter a shallow 1 1/2 quart round baking dish, 9 1/2" in diameter.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs until blended. Stir in milk, salt, nutmeg, prosciutto, and cheese until evenly distributed. Pour the egg mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- In a small bowl, toss the bread cubes in the olive oil to coat. Scatter the bread cubes evenly over the egg mixture.
- Bake until golden brown on top and slightly puffed, 35-40 minutes. Serve hot, cut into wedges.
Very good recipe and so much more convenient than a "stovetop omelet" when you have guests for brunch, since you can put it in the oven and forget it there for a while! I made it with ham and gruyère, but next time, I'll definitely try the prosciutto. I almost skipped the bread since BF doesn't like bread pudding, but I'm glad I left it in : it actually kept a good texture and added a very interesting additional flavour (I used homemade sourdough bread). In fact, I think next time I'll use more bread cubes, maybe 1 cup.