Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Bon Apetit. This is a wonderful combination of flavors and a hearty meal! Fondue is not just for dipping anymore!
- 8 ounces kielbasa
- 4 cups grated gruyere cheese
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 cup hard apple cider
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Applejack
- 2 granny smith apples
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 baguette
- Cut baguette into 3/4 inch cubes, set aside.
- Preheat oven to 300F.
- Heat a heavy skillet over high heat; slice kielbasa and add to skillet.
- Saute until browned on both sides.
- Transfer to a baking sheet.
- Put in oven to keep warm.
- Slice apples and toss with a few drops of lemon juice (to keep apple from turning brown)
- Toss cheese and 1 T cornstarch plus 2 t cornstarch in a large bowl to coat.
- Bring hard cider and vinegar to a simmer in a medium saucepan over low heat.
- Reduce to very low.
- Add a handful of cheese to the cider mixture; stir until melted.
- Add remaining cheese a handful at a time, allowing to melt each time.
- Increase heat to medium until fondue begins to bubble; stirring constantly.
- Pour in brandy.
- Season to taste with black pepper.
- Transfer the fondue to a pot.
- Set the pot atop a fondue stand; light candle.
- Arrange sausage slices, apple slices and bread cubes for dipping .