Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Slice 3/4 of the way horizontally through chicken breasts, cutting through the rounded edge; open out, cover with plastic wrap and beat with a rolling pin to flatten.
- Cover each filet with a slice of ham, then a slice of Gruyere.
- Set aside one tablespoon chives; sprinkle rest over cheese.
- Roll up chicken; secure with a wooden toothpick or string.
- In an ovenproof pan, heat oil; cook chicken rolls gently, turning occasionally, until sealed.
- Pour off excess oil.
- Add garlic, wine and seasoning to pan, cover and cook in the oven for 25-30 minutes, until tender.
- Place roulades on a dish, remove toothpick or string and keep warm.
- Put pan and remaining contents on high heat and boil rapidly to reduce slightly; add Devon Cream and remaining chives and heat through.
- Cut each chicken roulade into half inch slices and arrange them overlapping on four warmed dinner plates.
- Pour over the sauce and serve immediately, with a selection of baby vegetables.
This was outstanding. I felt like I was eating at a fine restaurant. The chicken was tender and flavorful and the sauce was wonderful. I used heavy cream, as I didn't have any Devon cream (aka clotted cream) - I thought it was just perfect. The directions were very accurate and clear, but do be careful when preparing the sauce - that pan has been in the oven and you will need to use an oven mitt to touch the handle or you will burn yourself. Elegant looking, delicious tasting, and very simple to prepare. Thanks!