This is a simple, homey German-style dish. It has a slightly sweet & sour taste. You may use reduced fat sour cream. Cook time is an estimate.
- 1⁄4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced thinly or chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 -2 tablespoon granulated sugar, to taste
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup half-and-half cream or 1⁄4 cup light cream
- 2 (16 ounce) cans green beans, rinsed and drained,reserving 3/4 cup of the canning liquid
- 1 cup creme fraiche or 1 cup sour cream (optional)
- 2 tablespoons cooked crumbled bacon, to taste
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (or as needed to thicken)
- In a large skillet, melt butter and saute onions and mushrooms until very tender.
- Whisk in flour and sugar and vinegar until blended well.
- Add parsley, half-n-half, and reserved bean liquid and whisk until blended.
- Cook until slightly thickened over medium heat.
- Stir in beans and sour cream (if using) and cook until heated through and just started to bubble-but DO NOT BOIL.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle bacon on top.