1/1 Photo of Grubstake Brownies
I found this recipe while going through the papers of a relative that passed away, it began with this story: This is the Grubstake BBQ original recipe. Every morning the kitchen staff made a double batch, and frequently a second batch had to be whipped up in the afternoon. The Grubstake was famous for these brownies. I surmise that The Grubstake once a restaurant in California. I made one change to the recipe - which is to use a microwave to melt the butter and chocolate, making it a one bowl type recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Melt butter and chocolate in microwave in large glass bowl. Let cool a bit.
- 2Add eggs, stirring with a spoon to break and combine with chocolate mixture (don't beat).
- 3Add all remaining ingredients except nuts, and blend thoroughly with a spoon (don't use a mixer).
- 4Add nuts and stir til mixed.
- 5Turn into a buttered 13x9 baking pan. Bake at 350 for 25 - 30 minutes.
- 6The hardest part of making these, is it seems impossible to tell when they are done. You really just have to know your oven. I've finally decided it's 30 minutes - I set the timer, when it dings, I take them out - no matter what they look like, and call it done. But your oven might cook hotter. If you like a more cake like type brownie, you can add another egg.
Browse Our Top Bar Cookie Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grubstake Brownies
Serving Size: 1 (62 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 258.5
- Calories from Fat 123
- Total Fat 13.7 g
- Saturated Fat 6.5 g
- Cholesterol 54.0 mg
- Sodium 140.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 25.2 g
- Protein 3.8 g