Recipe by MnM's Mom
This is the grown up version of sloppy joes. Good for you and without all the preservatives like the canned stuff. The kids never knew the difference!
Top Review by Scrapbook Lori
Made this dish as I had almost all the ingredients on hand! Made it in the morning and reheated for dinner tonight. Great flavor! The only changes I made were using a red bell pepper instead of green (it's what I had) and used ground turkey instead of ground beef. We will have this again! Thanks!
- vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup pasta sauce
- 1⁄4 cup barbecue sauce
- hamburger bun (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Coat a large frying pan with oil and set over medium-high heat.
- When hot, add onion and green pepper, saute until onions starts to soften about 3 minutes.
- Add ground beef, crumble while browning meat.
- Add garlic, Worcestershire, basil, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Using a fork or wooden spoon, stir often to keep meat crumbling until no pink remains, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Mix in pasta and barbecue sauces. Stirring the mixture often until hot, about 2 more minutes.
- Using wooden spoon, spoon over toasted hamburger buns or bread.