1/1 Photo of Grown-Up Macaroni and Cheese
Baking Barb's Note:
This is the only way my husband will eat macaroni and cheese, a food our 4 year old asks for constantly. It is my take on a mac and cheese I had at a nice bistro on our first date. I serve it 2 ways - extra creamy or baked. If you prefer your mac and cheese baked, reduce the half & half by 1/2 cup and reserve 1/2 cup or so of the cheeses or simply shred some extra. I also cut a minute or so off the pasta cooking time so they don't get mushy when baking. Feel free to add or substitute other veggies (broccoli and tomatoes are especially good) or leave out the sausage for a meatless meal. Leftover Easter ham also works great with this. It is a bit of work because I highly recommend shredding your own cheese from the block as the pre-shredded cheese in a bag has a powder substance on it that can make the sauce grainy.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 29.58 ml butter
- 59.14 ml flour
- 473.18 ml half-and-half cream (I use fat free and it turns out fine)
- 29.58 ml softened cream cheese, low fat works great, fat free not so much
- 226.79 g sharp white cheddar cheese, shredded
- 226.79 g smoked gouda cheese, shredded
- 4.92 ml ground mustard
- 1.23 ml white pepper
- 0.25 ml nutmeg (optional)
- 1Sauté mushrooms in a little olive oil until cooked down; set aside.
- 2Sauté sausage coins in same skillet you used for the mushrooms until warmed through and lightly caramelized; combine with the mushrooms and keep warm.
- 3In a saucier or saucepan, melt butter over medium heat until bubbles subside (you don't want to burn it or create a fully browned butter but want to head that direction for a nuttier taste to the sauce).
- 4Add flour and cook the roux, stirring constantly, for 2-3 minutes or until flour is fully cooked and mixture has reached a light, golden brown.
- 5Add 1/4 cup half & half, cream cheese, ground mustard, and pepper. Stir until fully incorporated into the roux.
- 6Slowly add remaining half & half, whisking constantly to break up any lumps and stir for 1-2 minutes or until you can just notice a slight thickening. This makes a very thin, creamy sauce. If you like it a lot thicker reduce half & half by 1/2 cup.
- 7Add shredded cheese (either reserve a small amount or shred extra if baking as a casserole) and stir for 1 minute.
- 8Reduce heat to low and let cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring every few minutes, until cheese has fully melted and flavors incorporate.
- 9While cheese sauce is cooking, cook the pasta according to package directions and drain.
- 10There are 2 serving options:.
- 11Most of the time I simply combine pasta, cheese sauce, mushrooms, and sausage in a large serving bowl and eat it extra creamy.
- 12My husband prefers it baked. Combine all components in the pasta pot and then pour into a greased baking dish. Top with reserved/extra cheese and some breadcrumbs (if desired - we don't) and bake at 350 for 15 minutes.
Browse Our Top Macaroni And Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Macaroni And Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grown-Up Macaroni and Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (303 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 831.8
- Calories from Fat 562
- Total Fat 62.4 g
- Saturated Fat 31.5 g
- Cholesterol 177.2 mg
- Sodium 1294.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 36.1 g