Recipe by Bella Cucina
This is a yummy new recipe that I created today. I was thinking about making a pasta alfredo with some sauteed scallops, but things got out of control & my husband LOVED the results.
Top Review by tridatraders
This mac and cheese is very creamy and cheesy. Use your biggest skillet/frying pan for this. My DH said this was the best mac and cheese he ever had! It is high in fat, though, so if you are on a low fat diet, or are watching your calorie intake, then avoid; otherwise, enjoy! I will definitely be making this again. The recipe is a keeper!
- 1 lb bay scallop
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk (or more as needed)
- 1 medium sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup of finely shredded cheese (I used a mixture of cheddar and muenster today because it's what I had in the house)
- 2 tablespoons goat cheese (to garnish)
- 2 cups of small penne pasta
- salt and pepper, as needed
Directions See How It's Made
- Set pot of water to boil for the pasta & add pasta when water is at a rolling boil.
- In a large pan over medium heat, heat onion and butter until onions are soft, sweet and lightly brown - add garlic at the end as it cooks much faster than onion.
- Sprinkle the flour over the top of them and stir to make a roux. Add the milk a little at a time while stirring constantly. Don't panic if it's a little lumpy because you are making a cheese sauce anyway.
- After thoroughly rinsing the bay scallops (they tend to be sandy) add them to the sauce in the pan and cook until the scallops are opaque. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Once the scallops are done, add the cheese and stir it up.
- To plate, I garnished with goat cheese and fresh cracked pepper - very tasty addition.