1 hr 25 mins
Stefany Anne's Note:
This is a very rich and unique macaroni and cheese dish. The recipe is so easy to make, and the outcome so delicious you may never eat Kraft Mac and Cheese again! This recipe was inspired by one I saw in Pillsbury's Pasta, Beans, and Rice cookbook. I have altered their original recipe slightly.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat oven to 350°F Spray 9x13" dish with nonstick spray.
- 2Cook penne pasta according to box and desired tenderness.
- 3Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour, salt, and pepper. Cook until bubbly, stirring constantly. Gradually add half and half, stirring constantly. Cook until mixture boils and thickens, stirring frequently. Remove from heat. Stir in cheeses, until melted. Cheese will be stringy. Stir in milk.
- 4Drain pasta and return to pot. Add to cheese sauce to pasta, stirring gently to coat. Pour into dish. Sprinkle with green onions.
- 5Bake for 20-25 minutes or until edges are bubbly and mixture is thoroughly heated.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grown up Mac and Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (196 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 553.5
- Calories from Fat 263
- Total Fat 29.3 g
- Saturated Fat 17.7 g
- Cholesterol 85.9 mg
- Sodium 454.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.4 g
- Sugars 0.6 g
- Protein 20.8 g