Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Who says grilled cheese is just for kids? Don't get me wrong, I still love a greasy diner-style grilled cheese once in awhile, but this fancier version is incredibly delicious and decadent. Brie and asparagus are really ideally suited for each other so I almost always combine them when I'm making anything where I would use brie.
- 2 slices bread, of your choice (works well with sourdough or a nice wheat)
- 4 slices brie cheese
- 5 asparagus spears
- 2 tablespoons of shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- coarse sea salt
- black pepper (optional)
- thyme (optional)
- 1 slice prosciutto (optional variation)
- Slice your bread if it isn't pre-sliced and butter on one side of both slices.
- Add your cheeses, black pepper, thyme and prosciutto (if adding) to the non buttered side of one of the slices.
- Rip the woody end of the asparagus spear off of the bottom and discard. Then heat your olive oil on medium low heat in a saute pan. When hot, add the asparagus spears. Cook until the spears are tender and have a bright fresh green hue. Add a pinch of kosher salt. Remove from the pan and add to the top of your cheese. Close up the sandwich with the butter side out.
- You can cook your grilled cheese in the same pan you used for the asparagus. Just heat it up again, add the sandwich and cook until golden, and all the cheese is thoroughly melted (will take longer if you use a thicker slice of bread).