Recipe by pamela t.
This grown up sandwich won Third Place in the Ready, Set, Cook Contest #16. This is a foodie sandwich with adult details like delicious pesto and a hot mayo. The two cheeses blend together into a nice oozy thick layer and with the sweetness of the onion and the pepper flavor of the arugula, you have a celebration in your mouth!
Top Review by ElizabethKnicely
Maybe I'm not grown-up enough, but I thought there was waayyy to much cheese. The pesto was good, but my hot mayonnaise came out way to lemony. Not a favorite of my husband or I.
- 2 slices country bread, rustic
- 1 slice vidalia onion
- 2 slices swiss cheese
- 2 slices Fontina cheese, sliced thin
- 2 leaves arugula
- 1⁄4 cup basil leaves
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon sriracha hot chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Spread softened butter on the outside of each bread slice.
- In a food processor, add basil, 1/4 C olive oil, 1 t salt, 1 T parmesan cheese; blend.
- In a small bowl, mix mayo, lemon juice and Sriracha chili. You may want to add more than 1 teaspoon. Depending on heat, add to desired taste.
- Heat a cast iron pan to medium heat or use a sandwich press. if using the pan, use 1 T olive oil and then put buttered side of sandwich down. The oil and butter make a tastier mixture.
- Put one buttered side of bread down; spread with pesto mixture; add 2 slices swiss and two slices fontina cheese, add onion slice and top with arugula.
- Spread other slice of bread with hot mayo. Put the mayo side inside.
- Cook approximately 2 minutes until browned on each side. Make sure cheese is melted and bread is nicely golden. Serve with more pesto for dipping, if desired.