It's chicken noodle soup... you know and love it and there's nothing more comforting... now it's just a little more sophisticated!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 cups low sodium chicken broth or 8 cups homemade chicken stock
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 large leek, washed and sliced into 1/4 inch thick rounds
- 1 stalk celery, diced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 carrot, cut into 1 1/2 inch julienne strips
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 portabella mushroom caps, cut in half and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 6 cups fresh spinach
- 2 star anise
- 2 four inch cinnamon sticks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 ounces egg noodles
- salt and pepper
- 1In a large pot, combine broth, anise and cinnamon.
- 2Cook over medium high heat for 10-15 minutes until fragrant.
- 3Add chicken to liquid and poach until just cooked (about 15 minutes).
- 4Remove chicken to a plate to cool.
- 5Bring salted water to a boil in a medium size pot.
- 6Add noodles and cook al dente, 4-6 minutes.
- 7Strain noodles and rinse with cold water, then set aside.
- 8Heat olive oil in a saute pan over medium heat.
- 9Saute leek, celery, carrot and garlic for about 5 minutes until soft and fragrant.
- 10Add portobello mushroom and saute for 5 minutes.
- 11Remove anise and cinnamon from broth.
- 12Add broth to sauteed vegetables, bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- 13Meanwhile, slice the cool chicken breasts into 1/4 inch pieces.
- 14Add chicken, noodles and spinach to the simmering broth.
- 15Cook for 2-4 minutes until the spinach has wilted.
- 16Taste for seasoning and adjust with salt and pepper to suite.
- 17Serve immediately with a hearty chunk of french bread.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grown-Up Chicken Noodle Soup
Serving Size: 1 (504 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 296.6
- Calories from Fat 78
- Total Fat 8.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 58.1 mg
- Sodium 181.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 26.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: