Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
It's chicken noodle soup... you know and love it and there's nothing more comforting... now it's just a little more sophisticated!
- 8 cups low sodium chicken broth or 8 cups homemade chicken stock
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 large leek, washed and sliced into 1/4 inch thick rounds
- 1 stalk celery, diced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 carrot, cut into 1 1/2 inch julienne strips
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 portabella mushroom caps, cut in half and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 6 cups fresh spinach
- 2 star anise
- 2 four inch cinnamon sticks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 ounces egg noodles
- salt and pepper
- In a large pot, combine broth, anise and cinnamon.
- Cook over medium high heat for 10-15 minutes until fragrant.
- Add chicken to liquid and poach until just cooked (about 15 minutes).
- Remove chicken to a plate to cool.
- Bring salted water to a boil in a medium size pot.
- Add noodles and cook al dente, 4-6 minutes.
- Strain noodles and rinse with cold water, then set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a saute pan over medium heat.
- Saute leek, celery, carrot and garlic for about 5 minutes until soft and fragrant.
- Add portobello mushroom and saute for 5 minutes.
- Remove anise and cinnamon from broth.
- Add broth to sauteed vegetables, bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice the cool chicken breasts into 1/4 inch pieces.
- Add chicken, noodles and spinach to the simmering broth.
- Cook for 2-4 minutes until the spinach has wilted.
- Taste for seasoning and adjust with salt and pepper to suite.
- Serve immediately with a hearty chunk of french bread.