Recipe by crispychick
I made these for an appetizer last night for me and the guys watching football. They were easy and a big hit!!! I used a FryDaddy and they turned out perfect.
- 1 lb fresh grouper fillet
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 35 saltine crackers
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 -2 teaspoon hot sauce (crystal)
- canola oil, for frying
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the grouper fillets in half lengthwise.
- Then cut into 1 inch strips. (use scissors).
- Place nuggets of grouper in a bowl with the buttermilk and hot sauce.
- Refrigerate 30-60 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pot or heat your electric fryer.
- Using your hand, strain out the buttermilk and then crack the egg into the bowl.
- Mix the egg around.
- Put the crackers, garlic salt, and pepper into a food processor and process until pretty finely ground. (not too fine).
- Put the crackers onto a plate and coat the nuggets one at a time, dropping into the hot oil as you go.
- These fry up really quick (in like 2 minutes).
- Serve with cocktail sauce.