Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is wonderfully earthy and satisfying soup! It was one of my favorite foods when I visited Ghana one summer.
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 29.58 ml whole wheat flour
- 946.36 ml chicken broth
- 236.59 ml skim milk
- 236.59 ml natural-style peanut butter
- 4.92 ml crushed red pepper flakes
- 4.92 ml hot pepper sauce
- 14.78 ml lemon juice
- In a large pot, cook the onions with some cooking spray on low heat.
- After about 5 minutes add the garlic.
- After another 5 minutes add the whole wheat flour along with a touch of the chicken broth. Keep stirring to form a gooey paste.
- Add the rest of the chicken broth and bring to a simmer.
- Next add the milk and peanut butter. Once the milk is added, keep heat low enough to avoid boiling.
- Add the rest of the ingredients.
- Garnish with parsley or fresh chopped green onion.
- This soup goes very well with rice or dumplings.
An easy, unusual soup. I though the texture was a bit disturbing so I added brown rice which improved the dish.