Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Twisted Tanya Restaurant in Copan Ruinas, Honduras Peanuts are offered referred to as groundnuts in the English-speaking islands
- 4 ounces peanuts, peeled and roasted
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 1 dash salt
- fresh ground pepper
- hot sauce, to taste
- 1 cup heavy cream or 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon Angostura bitters
- 6 tablespoons dry sherry (optional) or 6 tablespoons vermouth (optional)
- croutons or chopped chives
- Put the peanuts and enough chicken stock to cover in an electric blender and blend on high speed to a smooth paste.
- Pour into a heavy saucepan, add the rest of the stock.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and hot pepper sauce.
- Cook over low heat, stirring from time to time, for about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the cream and cook, stirring, until heated through.
- Stir in the Angostura bitters.
- A tablespoon of dry sherry or dry vermouth may be added to each serving.
- Garnish with croutons and serve hot or chill and serve sprinkled with chives.