Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is adapted from a TOH recipe.
- 453.59 g ground turkey
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 236.59 ml mushroom, sliced
- 118.29 ml peas
- 304.75 g can cream of mushroom soup
- 78.07 ml milk
- 4.92 ml garlic powder
- 2.46 ml salt
- 2.46 ml pepper
- 236.59 ml sour cream
- hot cooked egg noodles
- In a skillet, cook turkey and onion until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Add mushrooms and peas. Cook and stir for 1 minute. Stir in the soup, milk, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered for 5-10 minutes.
- Stir in sour cream; heat gently. Do not boil. Serve over noodles.
This was exactly what the husband and I were looking for! We jazzed it up a bit, though. We're not milk drinkers so we thinned out the soup with chicken stock. We sauteed fresh garlic with the onions and turkey and deglazed the pan with some red wine. And as if that didn't kick it up enough, we also added chrushed red pepper after the soup. Then to lighten it up a bit we used plain greek yogurt and it was absolutely DELICIOUS!!!
This was a hit at my house! I am personally not much of a stroganoff fan, but my guys loved it. I omitted the mushrooms (husband hates them - philistine!) and used four cloves of fresh garlic instead of the garlic powder (only do this if you REALLY like garlic like we do!) and stirred the minced garlic into the turkey/onion along with the peas to sizzle for a minute before adding the milk and soup. I didn't try to fat-free or low fat anything; as a matter of fact I was out of milk so I used half & half. It was quite tasty and super easy to make, and since ground turkey is still cheap in my area it was wallet-friendly, too. I'll definitely make this again! Thank you!
Couldn't figure out how I was going to use up all this ground turkey I had, and this recipe was perfect. Easy & good.. didn't need to change a thing other than the seasoning to suit our liking. Thanks for a good recipe!