Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This easy one pot meal is hard to mess up. I use Iceberg lettuce but you can use your favorite. If you don’t care for sesame oil, you can substitute with Kikkoman Mirin Style Sweet Cooking Seasoning. It has a different flavor but it works out well. Also, fresh ginger may be used in place of the pickled ginger. Just thought I'd mention that the chili sauce is hot. You may want to start with less and add to your taste. The total prep/cooking time is around 30 minutes...I was prepping as I was cooking (adding to the pan as I went along.
- 16 iceberg lettuce leaves (or your favorite lettuce leaf)
- 1 lb ground turkey (or chicken)
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch (mixed in 2-3 Tbsp water)
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped (Viladia, Maui, etc)
- 2 tablespoons fresh garlic
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1⁄3 cup lee kum lee hoisin sauce
- 2 teaspoons pickled ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon nishiki rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon asian chili-garlic sauce (to taste)
- 1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- Rinse lettuce leaves and pat dry. Set aside.
- Brown ground turkey in the oil in a medium skillet over high heat, stirring often. Drain excess liquid. Add cornstarch mixture; mix in well. Continue cooking, over med heat.
- Add chopped onion.
- Add garlic, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, ginger, wine vinegar, and chili sauce.
- Add water chestnuts, green onions, and sesame oil.
- Continue cooking until onions are transluscent in appearance (about 2 minutes or so).
- Arrange lettuce leaves around the outer edge of a large serving platter and place the meat mixture in a separate container in the center.
- To serve, allow each person to spoon 2 portions of meat onto a lettuce leaf … wrapping the lettuce around the mixture like a burrito.