Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
Explosions of tastes make this a wonderful twist on our old favorite appetizer. Actually, we make a meal out of this! Enjoy.
- 1 1⁄4 lbs ground turkey
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 serrano peppers, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons lemongrass paste or 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh lemongrass
- 6 stalks green onions, chopped
- 1 cup loosely chopped mushroom
- 1⁄4 cup loosely chopped water chestnut
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 cup peanut oil
- 2 tablespoons grated carrots
- 1⁄4 cup fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 limes, juice of
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 head iceberg lettuce or 2 heads boston lettuce leaves, separated into cups
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh mint leaves, coarsely chopped
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground turkey, lemon grass paste, fish sauce and salt/pepper until thoroughly mixed and let sit for 10 minutes.
- In a large saucepan or wok, heat peanut oil and stir fry the green onions, serrano peppers, ginger, mushrooms, water chestnuts, and garlic until soft (about 4 mins). Now add the ground turkey and hoisin sauce then cook until done (turkey is brown).
- Chop the fresh herbs as above and place each in an individual serving container (small bowl or ramekin).
- To make the sauce: In a small mixing bowl, soak the crushed red pepper in lime juice for several minutes Add the garlic, sugar, and fish sauce and stir to dissolve the sugar. Transfer to a serving container and add the grated carrots and serve at room temperature Refrigerated, the sauce will keep in a tightly covered container for up to 5 days.
- To Serve: Arrange lettuce on a large platter surrounded by the containers of chopped herbs, etc. and the sauce. To make a wrap take a lettuce leaf in hand, scoop a large tablespoon of meat on to lettuce leaf, then add any herbs that you like. Add a teaspoon of sauce onto the mixture on the leaf and then roll and eat. Yum!
Made this tonight and it was delicious! Seems like a lot of ingrediants, but if you assemble them before you start it goes togetrher easily and quickly. Didn't have lemon grass paste, so I used lemon grass powder which was fine. Used Shitake mushrooms because that was what I had on hand. Used Xylitol to sweeten the sauce because I don't like to use sugar in anything. Just a tiny bit was fine and kept it lower carb. Did not have any oyster sauce on hand and didn't feel like running to the store and it was still fantastic. If I had been served this in a restaurant, I would be ordering it again and again.
I made this for dinner a couple nights ago and it was FABULOUS. This is an absolutely delicious recipe.