1/6 Photos of Ground Turkey Lasagna
What's Cooking?'s Note:
A recipe from before I became kosher. I decided to make a lasagna using only ingredients that I could find at my local Trader Joe's (Trader Joe's has terrific fresh, no-boil lasagna noodles for an affordable price in their refrigerator section). I reduced the fat by using ground turkey, low fat milk, and part-skim mozzarella, and leaving out the egg that is usually added to the ricotta mixture. The result is a tasty, easy to make lasagna with tender meat and just the right amount of moisture.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 1 (22 ounce) package lean ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 2/3 cups shredded parmesan cheese
- 10 ounces low-moisture part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 (15 ounce) package fresh ricotta
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 3 1/2 cups marinara sauce, bottled
- 1 (13 ounce) package trader joe's fresh no-boil lasagna noodles or 1 (13 ounce) package boiled regular lasagna noodles
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2If no-bake or no-boil fresh noodles are used, no preparation of noodles is required. If you use standard dry lasagna noodles, boil and drain, then rinse with cold water.
- 3Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat.
- 4Add onions, saute until onions are opaque and starting to brown. Add freshly minced garlic and 1 tsp fresh minced rosemary. Also add 1/2 of each portion of herbs and spices (1/2 tsp oregano, 1/2 tsp parsley, 1/4 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tbsp or ground black pepper, 1/2 tsp salt). Saute for 2 minutes.
- 5Add ground turkey to pan, mashing and pushing apart meat with the edge of your spatula. Cook until meat has begun to brown.
- 6Add 1/2 cup of milk, and simmer on medium-low heat for 5 minutes or until meat is entirely cooked. Mix in 2.5 cups of marinara sauce, reserving 1 cup. Turn off heat.
- 7In a medium sized bowl, combine ricotta cheese, 1 cup of shredded parmesan (reserving 2/3 cup), remainder of all herbs and spices (including salt and pepper). Mix with hands or spoon.
- 8In the bottom of a standard lasagna pan, spread reserved cup of marinara sauce in a thin, even layer. Place a layer of lasagna noodles lengthwise in pan, slightly overlapping.
- 9Spread 1/2 of ricotta mixture in a thin, even layer over noodles. Spoon 1/3 of meat sauce over ricotta mixture.
- 10Add another layer of lasagna noodles, and repeat previous step.
- 11Add 3rd layer of lasagna noodles, and spread remaining sauce over noodles evenly. Mix remaining mozzarella and parmesan, and spread in a thin layer, completely covering the top of the lasagna.
- 12Cover in tin foil, making sure the foil is not touching the cheese (you can use toothpicks to ensure that no cheese sticks to the foil, if you like). Bake for 20 minutes.
- 13Remove foil, and bake for another 20 minutes or until the cheese is bubbling and is starting to brown around the edges. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10-15 minutes before slicing into 8 pieces.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ground Turkey Lasagna
Serving Size: 1 (343 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 548.6
- Calories from Fat 286
- Total Fat 31.8 g
- Saturated Fat 14.7 g
- Cholesterol 121.9 mg
- Sodium 1400.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 12.1 g
- Protein 41.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
no-boil lasagna noodles