1/2 Photos of Ground Turkey Incognito
If you're like me, you can always use another way to disguise ground turkey! This casserole can be made ahead if you like, and is easily adaptable to whatever ingredients you have on hand.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb ground extra-lean turkey
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (less if regular)
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1/2 cup half-and-half or 1/2 cup cream
- 1 bouillon cube (beef)
- 8 ounces spinach, cooked and drained (and or mushrooms, broccoli...)
- water, for boiling
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, for boiling (less if regular)
- 6 ounces whole grain rotini pasta
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1/4 cup half-and-half or 1/4 cup cream
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 6 -8 ounces grated mozzarella cheese
- 2Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a deep casserole dish.
- 3Recipe as is fits into a 9x9 3" deep casserole dish. Doubled would fit into an 11x11 4" deep casserole dish.
- 5Saute turkey and onion over medium heat until done.
- 6Add olive oil and butter, then flour and stir well, letting flour brown slightly.
- 7Add milk slowly, stirring as you go, then cream, spices and bullion.
- 8Bring to a low boil to thicken, then pour into greased casserole dish.
- 10Cook veggies, drain well, season if needed and layer over turkey.
- 12Bring water to a boil, add salt and pasta, cook per package directions. Then drain and set aside.
- 13Re-using same pan, pour in milk, cream and cream cheese. Add spices and heat over medium heat until cream cheese is melted. Add chopped green onions.
- 14Pour over turkey in casserole dish.
- 16Sprinkle grated cheese over pasta and bake for 25-30 minutes or until done.
- 17If made ahead, get it out of fridge about 1/2 hour before cooking.
Browse Our Top Poultry Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ground Turkey Incognito
Serving Size: 1 (251 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 506.0
- Calories from Fat 241
- Total Fat 26.7 g
- Saturated Fat 12.6 g
- Cholesterol 111.7 mg
- Sodium 1204.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 7.1 g
- Protein 32.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: