Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
So simple it shouldn't really be a recipe, but for years I never thought of using salsa instead of those salty taco mix packets. Much tastier and more "real food" flavor and yet just as easy! This salsa idea stolen from my sister (Lowfat Linda), or possibly her husband, who didn't think to post it first. :-)
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 8 ounces salsa (my new favorite is Brad's Organic mild)
- 15 taco shells (hard) or 8 whole wheat tortillas (also Stop and Shop's Nature's Promise)
- 6 ounces cheese, shredded (reduced fat and sodium if you've got it)
- 2 tomatoes, fresh
- 10 leaves lettuce
- 10 tablespoons low-fat sour cream
- 1 avocado
- Fry ground turkey over medium heat with salsa, chopping up well with spatula.
- Chop tomatoes, lettuce well.
- Warm taco shells and fill with meat, cheese, tomatoes, lettuce and top with sour cream or avocado.
- Or warm tortillas in frying pan (or microwave) with shredded cheese and add ingredients and roll up.