Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr 25 mins
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 cup lentils (I used confetti lentils)
- 1 tablespoon steak seasoning
- 1 dash paprika
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup oats
- 1⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- Stir together the rice, lentils and seasonings in a large saucepan. Cover with water by 2 inches and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes until the rice is beginning to soften. (You don't want to fully cook the rice.) Drain off any remaining water. (After about 27 minutes, all of my water was absorbed and my rice was cooked to the right consistency.).
- Remove the saucepan from heat and stir in the olive oil, oats and flour. Turn the "meat" mixture into a lightly sprayed 9x13 casserole dish. Spread the mixture evenly.
- Cook at 300 degrees F for about an hour, turning every 15 minutes. (Toward the end of the cooking time the top will begin to get a little crunchy so turning while it's cooking is important.).
- We've enjoyed this cooked on tortilla chips, mixed with penne and mushroom stroganoff, mixed with rice and wrapped in tortillas. Basically, use it whenever you'd eat ground beef but you want a vegetarian twist.
Flavor wasn't bad. The problem with this recipe is it should be used right away. If you freeze it then add it later to a recipe that needs to be cooked the lentils and oatmeal become mush from over cooking. I threw out the remaining mixture that was in the freezer