1/1 Photo of Ground Meat Kimba
Paprika Pink's Note:
It's not Keema, but it's inspired by. I wanted something quick because it was late, but this took me nearly an hour anyway because of the chopping. I'm a slow chopper. It would be good with brown rice, but I thought I didn't have time to cook rice so we just mashed our potatoes in our bowl and stirred it all together and it was delicious like that. Some might like to add pepper sauce to theirs.
My Private Note
1.5 cup ...
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 large potato, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 1/2 lbs ground turkey
- 2 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes (with their juice)
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 lemon, juice of
- 1 cup plain yogurt (use whole yogurt, it's still way less fat than sour cream)
- 1In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat.
- 2Heat the onion and garlic until beginning to soften.
- 3Add curry powder and cumin.
- 4Cook, stirring ocassionally until spices are aromatic and onion is transparent, about 7 to 10 minutes.
- 5Meanwhile, place the potatoes in a microwave-safe bowl. Loosely cover with waxed paper. Microwave in 30 second intervals until beginning to soften, about 5 intervals (they will finish cooking in the skillet).
- 6Add ground turkey (or ground meat of your choice) to skillet. Break into crumbles. Cook until no longer pink, stirring frequently.
- 7Add diced potatoes.
- 8Add tomatoes and juice.
- 9Add cinnamon, salt, and pepper.
- 10Stir a bit, but it's okay if everything is basically in layers.
- 11When it's bubbling, reduce heat and cover. Cook for 12 to 15 minutes, stirring ocassionally, until potatoes are soft and flavorful. Add water or broth if it seems too dry.
- 12Add lemon juice. Stir well.
- 13Serve with a dollop of yogurt, or pass the yogurt for diners to add their own.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ground Meat Kimba
Serving Size: 1 (285 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 244.7
- Calories from Fat 103
- Total Fat 11.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.9 g
- Cholesterol 62.7 mg
- Sodium 219.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 5.1 g
- Protein 20.1 g