Recipe by CoolMonday
I found this on the internet somewhere and it said you could wrap the loaf tightly in plastic wrap and chill it overnight. Then you could actually cook it in your rotisserie. I tried that and it didn't work lol. So I followed their directions for making a loaf. It was delicious. I will include the directions for rotisserie but don't holler if it doesn't work. Time does not include draining yogurt, or chilling loaf overnight.
Top Review by lalentine
Really wonderful. Tastes like Gyros. I used 1 lb ground sirloin and 1 lb ground lamb. The tzatziki was wonderful, very fresh tasting. Loved it sliced thin in a tortilla or wrap with lettuce and the sauce. YUM.
- 1⁄2 cup medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 lbs ground lamb
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon dried marjoram
- 1 tablespoon dried ground rosemary
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 16 ounces plain yogurt
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded, finely chopped
- 1⁄8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 5 -6 mint leaves, finely minced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped tomato
- 1⁄2 cup feta cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Process the onion in food processor for 10 to 15 seconds.
- Put into dish towel and squeeze almost all juice and discard juice.
- Return onion to food processor and add lamb, garlic, marjoram, rosemary, salt, and pepper.
- Process about 1 minute until it becomes a fine paste.
- Scrape sides occasionally.
- TO COOK IN ROTISSERIE:.
- Form the meat mixture into a loaf.
- Roll tightly in plastic wrap removing all air pockets.
- Twist ends so wrap is tight.
- Refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Place meat on rotisserie skewer.
- Place aluminum foil, shaped like a bowl, underneath to catch drippings.
- Cook on high for 15 minutes.
- Reduce to medium and cook 30-45 minutes, until inside temp is 175.
- TO COOK IN OVEN AS LOAF:.
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Place mixture in loaf pan.
- Place loaf pan in water bath and bake for 60-75 minutes.
- Temp should reach 165-170.
- Remove from oven and drain off fat.
- Place loaf pan on cooling rack.
- Place something heavy (such as a brick wrapped in aluminum foil) directly on top of meat fof 15-20 minutes.
- TZATZIKI SAUCE:.
- Place yogurt in a tea towel, suspend over a bowl and drain for 2 hours in refrigerator.
- Place the chopped cucumber in a tea towel and squeeze to remove the liquid.
- Discard liquid.
- Combine drained yogurt with all other sauce ingredients.
- Store in refrigerator in air tight container up to a week.
- TO SERVE:.
- Slice lamb and serve on pita bread with tzatziki sauce, chopped onion, tomatoes, and feta cheese.