Prep 40 mins
Cook 45 mins
Make your ground lamb loaf the day before, then slice and heat to serve with tomato and sweet onion, on warmed pita rounds, with this fantastic cucumber / yogurt sauce.
- 1 lb ground lamb
- bread, two slices, finely crumbled
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, fresh, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried mint
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 cucumbers, diced
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup yogurt
- 4 scallions, sliced
- juice, 1/2 lemon
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried mint
- pita bread round
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced
- 1 white onion, thinly sliced
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 deg.
- FOR THE LAMB LOAF.
- Combine lamb, bread, egg, milk, onion, garlic, parsley and seasonings in mixing bowl. Mix thoroughly, kneading. Shape mixture into a 7” X 4”loaf.
- Place loaf on rack for drainage and bake.
- 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until temp of 180 deg. Allow the loaf to rest. Can be used at this time to make your gyros, or covered and stored in the frig until the next day.
- FOR THE SAUCE.
- Whisk together the cucumbers, sour cream, yogurt, green onions, lemon juice, salt, white pepper and mint. Store in frig until serving time.
- HEATING AND ASSEMBLING GYROS.
- Put slices of the lamb loaf on a flat grill pan and heat on low to medium heat. Meanwhile, put pita rounds between two sheets of aluminum foil, crimp the edges, and put in oven to warm.
- Put portions of the hot meat on the warmed pita round, and pile the sweet onion slices and tomatoes on top. Serve the gyro with a generous side dish of the cucumber / yogurt sauce. Serve immediately.
An excellent recipe..........I followed it exactly as written, except I made mini meatballs, roasted them on a parchment covered cookie sheet for about 20 min. at 350 degrees. My husband and I had gyros and I froze the rest of the meatballs for a later meal. Thank you for sharing.
This is a very delicious recipe - it came out scrumptious and very moist. All of my family said they wanted to come home for lunch tomorrow. Thumbs up!
Oh my gosh this is yummy! I used gluten-free bread and served it on rice rather than pitas. I'm looking forward to left-overs for dinner tomorrow night.