1/2 Photos of Ground Lamb and Lentil Chili
Dr. Jenny's Note:
This is my fiance and my favorite lamb chili recipe. We like our dishes hot, so this is pretty spicy. I got this recipe from "The Chili Cookbook" by Norman Kolpas.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 medium garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons medium-hot pure chile powder
- 1 tablespoon mild paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried red chili pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon red cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 lb ground lamb
- 1 cup dried red lentils
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup finely chopped cilantro, for garnish
- 1In a medium pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic and onions and saute until onions are transparent, 2 to 3 minutes.
- 2Add chile powder, paprika, chile flakes, cayenne, cumin and coriander; saute, stirring constantly, about 2 minutes more.
- 3Add lamb and stir and mash constantly with a wooden spoon to break it up into very fine particles, until evenly browned, 5 to 7 minutes.
- 4Stir in lentils, broth, tomatoes, oregano, rosemary, salt, sugar, and pepper; bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until lentils are tender and chili is thick, about 30 minutes, adding some water to pot if lentils absorb all liquid before chili is done.
- 5Garnish with cilantro before serving.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ground Lamb and Lentil Chili
Serving Size: 1 (313 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 686.1
- Calories from Fat 353
- Total Fat 39.3 g
- Saturated Fat 13.4 g
- Cholesterol 82.9 mg
- Sodium 2481.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 21.0 g
- Sugars 6.0 g
- Protein 36.4 g