This is a great accompaniment or main course for a Thai dinner, wonderfully aromatic, and very tasty! Based on a Madhur Jaffrey recipe, my husband makes this dish often.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh basil (Thai basil preferred)
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 Thai red chili peppers, seeded and cut into strips,amount to taste
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 lb ground chicken (or turkey)
- 5 teaspoons fish sauce (or salt to taste)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
- In oil over medium-high heat, saute onion, basil, garlic, green onions, chilies, and grated ginger in oil until onions are soft.
- Add ground chicken and sauté until browned.
- Mix fish sauce and brown sugar together; add into chicken/basil mixture and stir to coat.
- Saute for another 3 to 4 minutes.
- Serve with rice.
- Note: please use Thai basil if at all possible, which holds up better under heat and is much more aromatic than common Italian/French basil.