Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
I just put this together tonight since I decided to buy ground chicken and had no clue what to do with it, haha! I used low fat/low carb/low calorie whole wheat tortillas by La Tortilla Factory. But you could use whatever you wish :)
- 3 -6 tortillas, whole
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup shredded cheese (your choice)
- 1 big red sweet bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄2-1 cup sweet onion, diced
- 1 (16 ounce) can refried beans or 2 cups of homemade refried beans
- 1 (8 ounce) jar salsa (chunky is best)
- Lawry's Seasoned Salt
- garlic or garlic powder
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 (16 ounce) can mexicorn (optional) or 1 (16 ounce) canregular kernel corn (optional)
- Brown the Ground Chicken, until no longer pink.
- Add the Garlic or Garlic Powder & Lawrys Seasoning Salt to meat.
- **could even add a taco/burrito seasoning packet**.
- Once Chicken is pretty much done, add the salsa and refried beans. (and corn if adding it).
- You can add the onions & bell pepper now or wait until you start layering the dish and let them cook that way.
- Spray the Casserole Dish w/ non-stick cooking spray.
- Lay 1st Tortilla Shell on bottom.
- Sprinkle some Cheese all over Tortilla.
- Then on top of that add the ground chicken mixture.
- If you didn't add the onion & pepper to meat mixture then sprinkle some on top of meat.
- Put 2nd Tortilla Shell on top.
- Repeat Cheese, Meat, etc until entire casserole is full.
- Bake at 375 Degrees for about 35 minutes until heated through and cheese is melted.
This was good and easy. The only change I made was to use a 13oz. can of shredded chicken. DH loved it, but wished it had more layers. I will use smaller tortillas next time and a deeper pan. His only complaint was too many bell peppers (but that's just his personal preference). Thanks so much!!
This was easy to put together, but the recipe did not state the amount of ground chicken. I used 1 pound an everything turn out great. I can't wait to try the leftovers. Thanks for sharing.
gets one star, because this is by no means low carb! beans and corn?! 50 carbs per serving!!! please!!