Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a lovely recipe that I found on the net. I made changes as I saw fit. It can also be made with ground turkey.
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed and water squeezed out
- 3⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 15 ounces tomato sauce (use your favorite)
- 1 teaspoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh oregano, chopped
- 10 large egg roll wraps
- 1 cup fresh parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup mozzarella cheese
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- First take out a skillet and saute ground chicken, onion and garlic.
- Using a spatula, make sure you break up the chicken making sure there are no chunks.
- Allow mixture to cook for approximately 5 minutes until it is nicely browned and remove from heat.
- Add your spinach, salt, pepper and 1/2 of your parm.
- cheese to the chicken and thoroughly combined.
- In a bowl, combine your tomato sauce with your herbs, adding additional herbs if you desire.
- Take our a baking dish and put a thin layer of sauce on the bottom of the baking dish.
- Place a small amount (about 1/3 cup) of your chicken mixture into your egg roll wrapper.
- You will want to make a bunched line with the mixture closer to one side of the wrapper, making sure that you are placing it lengthwise down the longer side of the wrapper.
- Fold the shorter side of the wrapper in (the side that runs lengthwise next to the mixture) completely over the mixture, and then fold over both sides of the wrapper that run the other direction.
- Then you will want to go to the end with the mixture and start folding (rolling) it tightly to make a cylinder.
- Make sure that when you come to the end of the last edge, that it is sealed tightly.
- Place the closed, filled wrappers into your baking dish and top with the remaining sauce and parm cheese.
- Top with remaining sauce and sprinkle with remaining parmesan cheese and the 1/2 cup of mozzerella cheese.
- Place your baking dish in the oven and bake for 40 minutes.
These were not very good. My husband and kids (who are used to regular pasta) thought the egg roll wraps tasted weird. I agreed they were a little weird and mushy. Not like canneloni from an Italian restaurant. I also think you could use half the spinach and throw in some mushrooms for a better flavor. I would not do these again.
My guests thought it could use a little zing but all agreed it was delicious!!
Delicious, I was going to use manicotti shells as I forgot to buy the egg roll wraps. Found out I didn't have the shells. So used butterfly noodles and layered like lasagne. Was great very good flavor. I only used half of the meat mixture, So I froze the rest to use with the wraps. I used all the sauce,I would recomend doubling the sauce for the full amount of cannelloni's.This is a delicious easy to make recipe. DH says make this again soon. Barb