Prep 45 mins
Cook 0 mins
Ground Chicken and Black-Bean Chili
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 cups red peppers, finely chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, pre-minced
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 lb ground chicken breast
- 7 ounces roasted green chilies, seeded and chopped
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans (rinsed & drained (no fat)
- 14 ounces canned chicken broth (no fat or reduced sodium)
- 14 1⁄2 ounces diced tomatoes (do not drain)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Heat oil in large saucepan or dutch oven over med heat. Add pepper, onion, and garlic; saute until tender, about 12 minute.
- Add chili powder and cumin; stir to blend. Increase heat to med high and add turkey; break up with spoon and saute until turkey is no longer pink, about 3 minute.
- Add beans, broth, diced tomatoes, chopped chilies and tomato paste and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer chili (uncovered) until liquid.
- thickens, stirring occasionally, about 1 hour. Season with salt & pepper.
- Serve garnished with some reduced fat shredded mexican cheese (jack/colby mix) and a whole wheat tortilla.