Recipe by grandma2969
The firm fruit which is nestled in a husk, is about the size of a cherry, and looks like a green tomato..though the color varies from green to yellow to red... I think it also resembles a Mexican tomatilla..you will need pastry for a 2 crust 9" pie
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 dash salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups husked cape gooseberries (ground cherries)
- 2 tablespoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Line a 9" pie pan with pastry and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- In a medium bowl, combine the tapioca, sugars, almond extract, nutmeg and salt.
- Sprinkle half the mixture in the bottom of the pastry shell and top with the cherries.
- Sprinkle the remainder of the sugar mixture over the cherries and dot with the butter.
- Top with a lattice designed or other decorative top crust.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then lower the heat for 350° and bake for 45-50 minutes longer, or until the crust is deep golden and the juices in the pie are bubbling in the center.
- Cool before cutting.