Recipe by HokiesMom
From Simple & Delicious magazine May2006. I really enjoyed this recipe as did my DH but my kids did not like it. I'm posting this anyway because eventually they will move out and I won't have to hear their complaints! =) ***Updated ingredients*** I've made this again and my DD did too and we both feel it needs a bit more sauce - so I've adjusted the original recipe to include tomato sauce.
Top Review by Charlotte J
Everyone enjoyed this for lunch. I was happy that this was so very easy to make. I used an extra 1/2 teaspoon of both the oregano and basil. I found that 8 ounces was enough tomato sauce. In step three I just added the zucchini on top of the dish not mixing it in as it cooked. The zucchini held it's shape better that way. I'll make this recipe again. Made for *Zaar Cookbook Tag 2009* game
- 1 lb lean ground beef (I use 96% fat free)
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 14 1⁄2 ounces diced tomatoes, undrained
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 medium zucchini, halved and sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated (or use a blend of cheeses)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a skillet, cook the beef, onion, and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in the corn, tomatoes, tomato sauce, zucchini, basil, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes - on a medium heat until heated through and zucchini is tender.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese right before serving.