Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
From Simple & Delicious magazine May2006. I really enjoyed this recipe as did my DH but my kids did not like it. I'm posting this anyway because eventually they will move out and I won't have to hear their complaints! =) ***Updated ingredients*** I've made this again and my DD did too and we both feel it needs a bit more sauce - so I've adjusted the original recipe to include tomato sauce.
- 1 lb lean ground beef (I use 96% fat free)
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 14 1⁄2 ounces diced tomatoes, undrained
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 medium zucchini, halved and sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated (or use a blend of cheeses)
- In a skillet, cook the beef, onion, and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in the corn, tomatoes, tomato sauce, zucchini, basil, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes - on a medium heat until heated through and zucchini is tender.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese right before serving.
Everyone enjoyed this for lunch. I was happy that this was so very easy to make. I used an extra 1/2 teaspoon of both the oregano and basil. I found that 8 ounces was enough tomato sauce. In step three I just added the zucchini on top of the dish not mixing it in as it cooked. The zucchini held it's shape better that way. I'll make this recipe again. Made for *Zaar Cookbook Tag 2009* game
I made this slightly differnt but with great results. Firstly, I omitted the corn, it just sounded wrong with the other ingredients. To me this recipe was sreaming for mushrooms, so I added about 2 cups of sliced fresh mushrooms, used fresh onion and fresh herbs. Topped it off with parmesean and a little feta and it was wonderful. Served over brown rice. Thanks for posting.
I needed something quick and easy for dinner. I also wanted something that I had everything on hand. I made exactly as written. My family added some hot sauce to it but I thought it was good as is.