Recipe by Cooking Beast
This is a hearty dish for cold nights. It has strong Italian flavors of tomato, oregano and bacon, a little reminiscent of sausage. Serve over wide egg noodles, your favorite pasta, or with garlic bread. Wine suggestions: red Bordeaux or domestic claret.
- 1 large eggplant, cut in 1/2-inch round slices
- 6 slice bacon, diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 907.18 g ground round
- 473.18 ml canned Italian tomatoes, drained (Roma)
- 170.09 g can tomato paste
- 4.92 ml dried oregano
- 4.92 ml salt
- 1.23 ml pepper
- 29.58 ml flour
- 29.58 ml water
- grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- 1. Select your eggplant! Experts say the ones with the ovals at the bottom are females of the species, and they are supposed to taste better. (No, I'm not making this up.).
- 2, In salted boiling water, cook eggplant to soften it up for 5 minutes. Or, alternatively, just cook it in the microwave for 10-15 minutes. It's easier.
- 3. In a 6-quart casserole dish, render bacon until crisp; drain and reserve. In the remaining bacon fat, cook onions and garlic until onion is translucent. Drain off excess fat. Add meat and brown.
- 4. Combine tomatoes, a 6-oz can of tomato paste, and seasonings. Mix flour and water in separate dish until smooth, then add to tomato sauce mixture. Now add meat mixture, stirring to blend.
- 5. In casserole, add alternate layers of eggplant and meat mixture. Top with reserved bacon bits and grated cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes.