Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
We had these not too long ago and we both decided that they needed a little more seasoning. We put a little hot pepper sauce on them and they were much better. I would probably include 2 teaspoons in the meat mix the next time that I make them.
- 6 large green peppers
- 1 lb beef, Ground
- 1⁄2 cup onion, Chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes, diced
- 1⁄2 cup long grain rice
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, Shredded (about 4 ounces)
- Cut tops from green peppers; discard seeds and membranes.
- Chop enough of the tops to make 1/4 cup, set aside.
- Cook the whole green peppers, uncovered in boiling water for about 5 minutes; invert to drain well.
- Sprinkle insides of peppers lightly with salt. In a skillet cook ground beef, onion and 1/4 cup chopped pepper till meat is browned and vegetables are tender.
- Drain off excess fat. Add undrained tomatoes, uncooked rice, water, salt, Worcestershire, and a dash of pepper.
- Bring to boiling, reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 20 minutes or till rice is tender.
- Stir in cheese. Stuff peppers with meat mixture. Place in a 10x6x2 baking dish.
- Bake, covered in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.
Loved the recipe, but had to change up a bit. Next time I will pre-cook rice, (rice was not thoroughly cooked), and add corn. I added 8-oz. tomato sauce, 1 tsp. garlic powder, 1 tsp. onion powder, 1 tsp. Italian seasoning, 1 tsp. sugar, 3 tsp. of worcestershire sauce, topped with Italian bread crumbs. Yum !!!!
These were quite easy to make and the coloured peppers looked lovely on our plates. I needed to use a bit more water than shown on the recipe, to cook the rice, but just kept adding more until it was tender. For a bit of spice, I added some chopped chillies as well as some fresh rosemary from our garden.
I added spicy rotel in place of the diced tomatoes. I also added some chopped jalapenos and a few tsp of hot sauce. We like things spicy around here.