Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Green peppers stuffed with Lean ground beef, onions and Celery. Tip: You can blanch the peppers in boiling water for 3 min and freeze them for later use.
- 3 large green bell peppers
- 5 cups water, Boiling, Salted
- 1 lb lean beef, Ground
- 1⁄4 cup onion, Chopped, 1 small
- 1⁄2 cup celery, Chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 cup instant rice, Uncooked
- 1⁄2 cup water
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut each bell pepper lengthwise in half.
- Wash the insides and outsides of the peppers after removing the seeds and membranes.
- Cook the peppers in the boiling salted water for 5 minutes then drain and set aside. Cook and stir the meat, onion and celery in a large skillet until the meat is brown.
- Drain off the excess fat. Stir in half of the tomato sauce and the remaining ingredients, heat to boiling then reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Place the peppers, cut sides up, in an ungreased baking pan 9 X 9 X 2 or 8 X 8 X 2-inches.
- Spoon the meat filling into each of the pepper half evenly and then cover the pan with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 25 minutes then uncover and top with the remaining tomato sauce and bake an additional 5 minutes.
This simple little recipe formed the basis for a really wonderful dinner. I omitted the salt and substituted garlic powder for garlic salt. I also used a 10 oz can of Rotel diced tomatos with peppers instead of the tomato sauce. I added 1/4 lb of Portugese chourico and a dash of paprika. Really splendid spicy dish as a result.
Fantastic. I used jar marinara sauce and ground turkey meat, but this was amazing. I switched to this recipe last minute, so the peppers weren't cut lengthwise, but were hollowed out and cooked upright. It was great
I followed the directions precisely, and it really just wasn't that tasty, edible but not something I'd make again.