Recipe by LisaS KY
This is one of my mother's recipes that I've made for years now, and my kids love it! I love how easy it is to prepare, and how flexible you can be. Can be served on egg noodles, crunchy chow mein noodles, or even rice!
Top Review by Cypress
I used this recipe as more or less a rough guide as I changed a few things. Omitted mushrooms but used a can of cream of mushroom instead of chicken. Also added garlic powder and substituted beef bouillon for the salt. Drained grease before adding the cream of mushroom but added in some extra butter and about a 1/2 cup water for a looser sauce. Didn't have plain sour cream but had sour cream ranch dip and used that instead. My mother always made her "cheater's stroganoff" with only ranch dip, hamburger, and pasta so I knew i'd like the flavor. Added a little extra of the seasonings, simmered, and served over pasta. It came out great and my DH loved it. So simple, and pretty quick so I will be making this again :)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef or 1 1⁄2 lbs ground turkey
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (6 ounce) jar sliced mushrooms (optional)
- 1 cup sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine meat, flour, salt, pepper and paprika.
- In a large skillet, cook onion in butter until golden.
- Add meat and brown while stirring.
- Add cream of chicken soup and mushrooms (if desired) and cook 5 minutes.
- Add sour cream and heat thoroughly.
- Serve on Chow Mein Noodles, egg noodles or rice.