Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is one of my mother's recipes that I've made for years now, and my kids love it! I love how easy it is to prepare, and how flexible you can be. Can be served on egg noodles, crunchy chow mein noodles, or even rice!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef or 1 1⁄2 lbs ground turkey
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (6 ounce) jar sliced mushrooms (optional)
- 1 cup sour cream
- Combine meat, flour, salt, pepper and paprika.
- In a large skillet, cook onion in butter until golden.
- Add meat and brown while stirring.
- Add cream of chicken soup and mushrooms (if desired) and cook 5 minutes.
- Add sour cream and heat thoroughly.
- Serve on Chow Mein Noodles, egg noodles or rice.
I haven't had stroganoff in so long!! I was thrilled that it was so easy to throw together. I did substitute the cream of chicken soup for cream of mushroom and added some Worcestershire sauce. My husband added some red wine to his... he seemed very pleased.
I used this recipe as more or less a rough guide as I changed a few things. Omitted mushrooms but used a can of cream of mushroom instead of chicken. Also added garlic powder and substituted beef bouillon for the salt. Drained grease before adding the cream of mushroom but added in some extra butter and about a 1/2 cup water for a looser sauce. Didn't have plain sour cream but had sour cream ranch dip and used that instead. My mother always made her "cheater's stroganoff" with only ranch dip, hamburger, and pasta so I knew i'd like the flavor. Added a little extra of the seasonings, simmered, and served over pasta. It came out great and my DH loved it. So simple, and pretty quick so I will be making this again :)
Thank Goodness for you! This was quick and easy. Made it veg by using Morningstar crumbles, and cream of mushroom soup. (have a quick homemade recipe). So good. Great as is and as a base to add to. Gonna add red wine and chopped garlic next time. Great for unexpected omni guests!