Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
I feed my pups homemade dog food in the mornings then let them nibble on kibble throughout the day. I also make my own dog biscuits,(at least you know whats in them)!
- In large pot brown ground beef, (do not drain off fat as dogs do require some fat in their diets) Add all other ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer gently for 45 minutes.
- Check and stir periodically, if too thick add a little more water.
- After 45 minutes it should look like a cross between soup and stew.
- Let cool, and it will thicken up some more.
- Put into individual serving size containers and freeze.
- (I have 2 poodles so I freeze in 1 cup containers and they each get 1/2 cup in the mornings).
- Larger containers for larger dogs.
- When ready to serve, remove lid and microwave until lukewarm, stir and make sure there are no hot spots!
I tried this as written as a last resort for my elderly dog who was refusing to eat on his own due to chronic kidley failure together with a host of related problems, including some dramatic weight loss. The result is outstanding! We have gone from hand/force feeding to his cleaning the bowl and even looking for food. I've also tried the Beef Stew #2 recipe with the same great results. Will try this with chicken next. Excellent recipe!
My elderly picky eater is polishing her bowl again.I make this with ground chicken and omit the beans because she has Colitis.I add a bit of garlic,she loves it and "things" hold together well if u get my drift.