Recipe by Scruffers
I feed my pups homemade dog food in the mornings then let them nibble on kibble throughout the day. I also make my own dog biscuits,(at least you know whats in them)!
Top Review by caserj
We have a geriatric aussie sheppard that had nearly all her back teeth pulled over the years so we had to move from her dry dog food to canned. She simply won’t eat any canned dog food and eventually tired of chicken and rice. She has trouble with her pancreas so we have to stay relative low fat with her diet. We use use 93/7 ground beef and make it per the instructions exactly. We feed her two cups a day and then let her eat Kibbles and bits (small dog - she can swallow this whole) the rest of the time. She loves this recipe, has gained most of her weight back, and is happy again.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 cup unpeeled carrot, chopped into small pieces
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 (14 ounce) can red kidney beans
- 3 tablespoons wheat germ
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked whole wheat macaroni
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked barley
- 6 cups water
Directions See How It's Made
- In large pot brown ground beef, (do not drain off fat as dogs do require some fat in their diets) Add all other ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer gently for 45 minutes.
- Check and stir periodically, if too thick add a little more water.
- After 45 minutes it should look like a cross between soup and stew.
- Let cool, and it will thicken up some more.
- Put into individual serving size containers and freeze.
- (I have 2 poodles so I freeze in 1 cup containers and they each get 1/2 cup in the mornings).
- Larger containers for larger dogs.
- When ready to serve, remove lid and microwave until lukewarm, stir and make sure there are no hot spots!