Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Tasty soup for the Fall.
- 12 ounces lean ground beef
- 4 cups water
- 14 1⁄2 ounces stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups torn torn stemmed washed spinach leaves
- Cook beef in large saucepan over medium heat until no longer pink, stirring to separate; drain fat from beef.
- Add water, stewed tomatoes with juice, carrots, onion, barley, bouillon granules, thyme, oregano, garlic powder, pepper and salt.
- Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer 12 to 15 minutes or until barley and vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in spinach and cook until spinach starts to wilt.
- Garnish as desired.
This was deeeelicious! I did everything as written except: I pre-cooked 2 slices of bacon and then quickly sauteed the veg in its fat. I crumbled the bacon on top of the finished product. YUM!
Great soup! I didn't have beef boullion, but did have chicken broth, so I substited that and eliminated the water. Will have to make it again with the beef.