Recipe by ErikaNY
I grew up on this delicious comfort food - it was one of my favorite meals. Now I make it for my husband and myself! The nice thing about this recipe is you can fit it to your own likes. Instead of mixed vegatbles, you can use a can of corn, peas... or half and half! Mom always did peas and corn, I prefer mixed vegetables. Enjoy!
Top Review by NLBriones
Saw Rachel Ray make this, but she made a rue by adding flour to the ground beef after it was cooked, then adding beef stock to create the gravy. I use frozen mixed vegetables for crisper more flavorful vegetables than canned. Gordon Ramsey made a shepherd's pie using lamb on one of his shows and added cheddar cheese to the mashed potatoes...it really adds good flavor to the overall dish.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can beef gravy
- 1 (15 ounce) can mixed vegetables, drained
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 1⁄2 cups mashed potatoes (I use Instant, boxed)
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can beef gravy, for topping
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in the gravy, vegetables, worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a 1 1/2 quart baking dish.
- Spread mashed potatoes over the top.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until heated through.
- When serving, place 'spoonful' of gravy on top of each individual portion.