Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is almost like a calzone...meat, cheese and a delicious blend of spices baked in a store-bought frozen and thawed bread dough, which makes this very simple to prepare, this is worth making, it is truly delicious! Prep time includes rising time.
Top Review by tiger7lady
Excellent recipe as usual Kittencal! I made as directed but I also added mushrooms, green pepper, and black olives. We used warm pizza sauce to dip in as well. There were barely any leftovers!
- 2 (1 lb) frozen bread dough, thawed (or home made bread dough may be used if desired)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder or 4 -5 fresh minced garlic cloves, if desired to taste
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground mustard powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb ground chuck, cooked and drained
- 1⁄4 lb sliced pepperoni, to taste
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, to taste
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, to taste
- 1 small onion, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Place each loaf of thawed bread dough in a greased glass bowl (turning once to grease top).
- Cover, and let rise in a warm place for approx 45 minutes, or until doubled; punch down dough.
- Roll each loaf into a 15x12-inch rectangle.
- In a small bowl, mix or whisk together the eggs, oil, garlic, salt, pepper, mustard and oregano; brush evenly over EACH dough to within 1/2-inch of edges (this mixture may be doubled if desired).
- Set the remaining egg mixture aside.
- Arrange beef, onion, cheeses and pepperoni on the dough, within 1/2-inch of the edges.
- Roll up the doughs into jelly-roll style, beginning with the long end first; seal the edges very well.
- Place seam-side down on a greased baking/cookie sheet or sheets.
- Brush with remaining egg mixture.
- Bake in a 375 degree oven, for 30-35 minutes, or until lightly golden.
- Let stand 5-10 minutes before cutting-- DELICIOUS!
- ***NOTE:The egg/spice mix may be doubled if desired.