Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is delicious! The complete casserole (with the crust on) can be prepared up to a day in advance and refrigerated until ready to bake. I used mozzeralla slices for this in place of shredded mozzeralla... add in any of your other favorites also.
Top Review by evelyn/athens
I had wrong expectations of this. I thought the batter poured on top would bake up on the bottom, creating a bottom crust. It does not do that - it stays on top. BUT this is a really good pizza casserole, that the kids and I really enjoyed this afternoon. I did make a major change though in that I didn't add either the pepperoni nor the bacon. Once I had poured the meat sauce into the pan, it certainly looked like enough and, in order to cut some calories, I left it there and proceeded with the recipe without pepperoni and bacon. Worked out just fine for us and I'm glad to have saved a few calories!
- 453.59 g ground beef
- 29.58 ml chopped garlic
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 44.37 ml parmesan cheese
- seasoning salt (can use table salt)
- 473.18 ml favorite pizza sauce
- 113.39 g pepperoni, chopped (can use more)
- 2.46-4.92 ml Italian herb seasoning
- 236.59 ml canned mushroom, drained
- 236.59 ml milk
- 14.79 ml oil
- 2 eggs
- 236.59 ml flour
- 1.23 ml salt
- 0.25 ml cayenne pepper
- 709.77 ml grated mozzarella cheese
- 118.29 ml grated parmesan cheese
- 8 slice cooked bacon, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 400 degrees.
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- In a large skillet cook ground beef with onion, garlic and green pepper until meat is no longer pink; drain fat.
- Add in 3 tablespoons (or more) grated Parmesan cheese; stir to combine.
- Add in pizza sauce, chopped pepperoni, herb seasoning and mushrooms; mix to combine and bring to a simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile in another bowl combine milk, oil and eggs; beat for 2 minutes with an electric mixer.
- Stir in flour, salt and cayenne; mix to combine; set aside.
- Spoon the ground beef mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle grated mozzeralla cheese on top.
- Sprinkle with chopped bacon.
- Pour the batter over cheese, spreading evenly to cover completely.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese.
- Up to this point you can cover and refrigerate until ready to bake.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown.