Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
A recipe I am posting (untried) for ZWT 6 - Turkey. This sounds so delicious and inexpensive for a family dinner. It is from Binnur's Turkish Cookbook.
- 7 ounces pasta, uncooked (such as macaroni or penne)
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, peeled, finely grated
- 1⁄2 cup crushed tomatoes, from a can
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 cup parsley, chopped
- 2⁄3 cup mozzarella cheese, grated (or Halloumi Cheese)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Boil the pasta with salty water following the instructions on the package, drain. Place in the oven proof dish.
- Meanwhile, cook the ground beef with onion. Add all the ingredients except parsley. Cook on low heat for about 10 minutes. Add the parsley, toss it with the pasta. Place the mixture into the casserole dish. Mix the egg with mozzarella and spread all over the pasta equally.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F (200 C) and bake until the top takes a golden colour. Serve it with Ayran and Tomato Salad.
This made a great Autumn comfort meal. I used Veggie Burger for the ground beef which lowered the sat fat content a *lot* but still tasted great. I made the full recipe to have leftovers as this type of casserole is always even better a day or two later. I never did get the cheese to brown bur it was bubbling and that was good enough for me as I didn't want it to dry out. Would certainly make this again.
This was VERY MUCH ENJOYED at my house tonight. All the flavors meld together so great. My little family of three ate a 9x13 pan- full!! Thanks so much!! Made for Xtra Hot Dishes of ZWT6.